It’s something we all have in our pantry…baking soda!
Even if you’re not a big chef, the powdery ingredient is key in many recipes. From elaborate meals to easy desserts, you’ve probably used it at least a few times in your cooking career. But baking soda has so many more uses that extend far beyond the six walls of your oven. Here are just a few.
1. Mix a half-teaspoon with water and drink it every two hours to reduce heartburn and stomach acid.
2. For dry, damaged hair, wash it with a mixture of one part water, two parts baking soda.
3. Sprinkle some in your golf or general sports bag to deodorize it. Make a paste with water and baking soda to buff your clubs clean.
4. If the worst happens when you’re frying and the grease catches on fire, cover the pot with a metal lid. If that doesn’t work and the fire is small, pour baking soda on it.
5. Remove annoying stains on your mugs and coffee pots by pouring some baking soda in with just enough water to form a paste. Scrub and rinse clean!
6. Forget about dishwasher detergent — use this mixture of soap, baking soda, and salt to get your dishes just as clean.
7. Get rid of stains and ugly rings in your toilet bowl by scrubbing with some baking soda.
8. Wash your hands with baking soda and water to get them super clean.
9. Soak combs and brushes in one teaspoon of baking soda and some warm water. Just rinse and let them dry after.
10. In addition to your regular laundry detergent, dump a cup of baking soda in your washing machine. Your clothes will be cleaner and brighter!
11. Don’t bother getting pet toothpaste — just make your own with some baking soda and water. The paste is perfect for pets and humans alike!
12. Get instant relief from burns, bug bites, and poison ivy rashes by mixing some baking soda with a little water and rubbing the solution onto your skin.
13. Mix one-half teaspoon in for every three eggs to get a super-fluffy omelet.
14. For an all-natural weed fighter, sprinkle baking soda on the cracks in your driveway and sidewalk.
15. Antiperspirants and deodorants have too many chemicals to count — skip them all by patting your pits with baking soda. It’ll kill odor and keep things dry.
16. Deodorize your drain and garbage disposal by pouring some in both and running hot water down them.
17. Sprinkle your carpet with baking soda, let it sit overnight, and vacuum it up in the morning. Not only will this deodorize your carpet, your vacuum will reap the benefits, too!
18. Don’t forget baking soda on your next camping trip. It’s a toothpaste, dish washer, pot scrubber, hand cleanser, deodorant, and fire extinguisher!
Well there you have it. Is there anything baking soda can’t do?
No word yet on whether it cures the common cold…we’ll get back to you!